Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DIY Fall Wreath

It has finally happened... I decided to make my debut in the blogging world.  Once I said "I do", the clock started ticking... I knew it wouldn't be long before I joined the ranks of blogger wives!  Here goes...

The fall weather preview that graced Dallas last week really put me in the mood to begin transforming our house for Fall!  The first thing on the list was to put up a cute fall wreath so, as a newlywed on a budget, I decided to get ideas of what I liked on Etsy then head to Hobby Lobby to get some inexpensive supplies!  Here are a few of the wreaths I really liked:



I love all the fall berries on this wonderful wreath from Etsy vendor twoinspireyou

I like how the burlap on this wreath by Etsy vendor LittleBigNest makes it look more modern and earthy!
After getting some good ideas, I decided to invite my mom, sister, and best friend over to join me in the wreath-making fun!  We all went to Hobby Lobby together and came back with very different supplies... can't wait to show you our finished products- but first, I will walk you through the steps to make a cute, earthy, autumn wreath (not to mention super easy!).

At HL I purchased:
  • a small hay wreath for $2.00
  • a package of wreath pins for $1.44 (I used about 1/100 of the pins)
  • some fall berry stems for $4.50, and
  • a roll of ribbon to coordinate for $2.00 (I only used about 12"-15" of the roll)
I already had a few yards of burlap at home leftover from another project, so I got it out and cut a few strips about 1"-2" wide.  Using a floral pin to secure the first strip, I began wrapping the burlap strips around the wreath, securing the burlap periodically with floral pins, until the whole wreath was covered.





Once the wreath was entirely covered in burlap, I cut the berry stems into individual "branches" and began to arrange them.  To get the berry branches to sit the way you want them to, use floral pins to secure them.

Fall berry stems.  I only used 2 stems to make this wreath so I have one left for another project... coming soon!


Once I covered the area I wanted with berry stems, I tied a bow around the side of the wreath opposite the berries so the bow would be asymmetrical when I hung it up.  This wreath took less than 20 minutes to make. Here is the finished product!




How do you like the finished product?  What would you add or change?

No comments:

Post a Comment